With Halloween coming up soon, I’m posting some ideas for Halloween costumes. If you’re like me, you have experienced buying Halloween costumes that a) cheap quality that made to last two times of usage and b) looks too ridiculous that it can only be used for Halloween. So I want to propose some ideas for Halloween costumes that are composed of regular clothing items that you can also wear again and again as everyday outfits. Some items you might have already in your closet cause they’re so classic and easy to pair with everything.
If you follow me, you know I’m a huge fan of Studio Ghibli works. (Yup, I dress Chic+Nawdie in all Studio Ghibli costumes…) Plus I’m going to be in Japan and spend my birthday at Studio Ghibli Museum (OMG!) so I think it’s pretty appropriate to post 3 Halloween outfits that come from My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki’s Delivery. I love how many works of this studio feature amazing female leads. Hayao Miyazaki has actually said “Many of my movies have strong female leads – brave, self-sufficient girls that don’t think twice about fighting for what they believe in with all their heart.” Well, you don’t get that a lot from Disney works, do you? So here you go, 3 outfits ideas for the brave women who lead their lives the way they want and who love Miyazaki’s magical world!
I try to find good quality items but understand everyone has different budgets. Therefore, for the same item I include 3 different price ranges. Many many items in my lists are on sale also! Feel free to let me know what you think and suggest/request anything!
I. Mei in My Neighbor Totoro
- A white blouse is a basic item almost everyone has in their closet. This one from Urban Outfitters ($54 now on sale for $29) is very similar to Mei’s. I also include one from Lord & Taylor ($119 on sale for $60) and Vince ($275 now on sale for $165.)
- Red flare dress from Urban Outfitters ($89 now on sale for $40), River Island ($90 now on sale for $45) or maybe a little more upscale from Ann Taylor ($145)
- Camel/tan color shoes: these oxfords from Nisolo ($158) and loafers from Cole Haan ($170) or Everlane ($170) could probably pull off any outfits in everyday life.
- A crossbody bag: Urban Outfitters ($34) has one in bright yellow, Fossil ($148 on sale now for $99) has one in beige, and I love this Studio MYR handcrafted Mag Moa in natural ($250)
- A straw hat from Apt. 9 ($38 on sale for $16), Free People ($28) or J.Crew ($39) that you can use daily in the summer.
- Red ribbon to make a pretty bow for your straw hat, you can get it easily at Paper Source, Michael’s, Jo-Ann or any other craft store.
- To make Mei’s cherry hair accessories, just sew or glue two red felt balls to a regular hair tie. They can be found at almost all craft stores and also online at Etsy or Michael’s.
II. Satsuki in My Neighbor Totoro
- Yellow top. For some reason it’s quite hard to find a yellow short sleeve button down shirt. So I guess this simple turtleneck tee from J.Crew ($34), this polo from Ralph Lauren ($89) or this beautiful silk shirt from No.21 ($400) could do the job.
- Orange skirt, like these ones from J.Crew Factory (on sale for $39), Brooks Brothers ($98) and MSGM ($300)
- Orange suspenders to match the skirt. You can buy online at the Suspender Store ($15) or at any Party City store ($9) and The Tie Bar ($25) has them too.
- Blue flats or sneakers like a pair of classic Vans Authentic ($45), Sam Adelman‘s sky blue espadrilles ($80 on sale for $56) or Vince‘s d’Orsay flats in blue marine ($295)
III. Kiki in Kiki’s Delivery Service
- A dark blue/purle dress like this one from Express ($50), or Felicity & Coco ($88) or be a little more “fun” with this denim dress from Marques’ Almeida ($370) If you want to spurge there is this gorgeous gown also from Amelia Toro for $795!!!
- A giant red bow headband like this one ($12) from Etsy. Or you can easily make one with red ribbon. I found this tutorial on Youtube if you need.
- Orange/brown flats are pretty common so maybe you already have those in your closet. If not, check out this pair from Vince Camuto ($98 on sale for $45), or Sam Edelman ($100 on sale for $80) and these super adorable mouse peep-toe flats pair from Melissa ($110)
- A brown crossbody bag that is very similar to the one Mei has so you can refer to the previous list. I also include 3 options here: one from Banana Republic ($150 on sale for $90), a Matt&Nat one ($125) and a Marc Jacob one ($298 on sale for $178) There are also many similar styles you can find in thrift shops, it’s such a common design.
- And a long broom like this one from Anthropologie ($118) or Amazon ($12) and other hardware and corner stores.